Sunday 22 October 2017

Task: Thought Experiment


My practice is all about character and narrative. When doodling I'll usually draw girls and create female characters. I also prefer drawing with pen on paper, rather than using a tablet. Even though I'm a perfectionist, I like the fluidity and personality you can achieve with hand drawn lines. I also feel pressure to work digitally as many comic artists do.

I'm scared of failure and not being "good enough", either to my own standards or to others'. This makes me procrastinate on work if I don't think I can 'get it right' first time.

I like using 'messy' analogue media, but I often avoid it during briefs because it's time consuming and there's less margin for error unlike digital. And because I procrastinate a lot, working digitally allows me to correct errors easily. I do still find Photoshop a bit overwhelming though!

I drew this portrait going back to analogue media, which I haven't used for a while, and chose to create a male character, as I don't often draw men. I wanted to use inks to loosen myself up a bit and try not to worry so much about so-called perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment