Wednesday 13 July 2016

Author/style doubts

One of my main concerns with some of the stories in this anthology is that my drawing style isn't really appropriate for some of the darker themes. I tend to draw people and characters in a more cartoon-ish, upbeat kind of way, but when I read some of the short stories I get a darker vibe, which isn't how I like to draw.

But equally, I still haven't really developed my own visual signature properly yet. I've discussed this in PPP in Level 4 - I would like to develop a recognisable visual signature so people immediately recognise my work, but I like to draw in lots of different styles, so I guess I can make my drawings fit the theme of whatever I'm responding to. I want to explore this in our other summer brief - a drawing every day. From module feedback in Level 4 I'm aware that I do quite often 'copy' or emulate artists' work that I like - for example, Kate Beaton and Bryan Lee O'Malley especially. I love the way they draw charcaters, but I need to come up with my OWN way of drawing characters. I need to explore how I draw faces, and not just copy what someone else is already doing.

I do also value humour, and while some of these stories do have humour, even if it's dark, I don't always have to add humour to my drawing. I do just like drawing characters and people too, and I can interject my own humour into them if wanted and needed. Again, I find lots of different humour styles funny too!

Another thing about the themes/humour/appropriateness of drawing style within this brief is that I can make it what I want it and interpret the stories my way. For example, there have been a lot of re-tellings of Shakespeare plays that warp their initial intended meanings, so I could definitely find a way to interpret Carter's stories in my own way, and perhaps make them more light-hearted and funny to fit my preferred style of drawing. Because this is not an analytical English Literature close-reading brief, I don't have to analyse the text as much as I was used to doing at A-Level, and can focus more on the visual themes and narrative, and choose to include what I want to interpret.

No comments:

Post a Comment