Friday 4 December 2015

OUIL405 Brief 2 - why I chose my theme (trains/railways) + trip to York Railway Museum

I chose to do trains for my book theme for a few reasons:
  • ·      There's loads of opportunities for research both in Leeds and at home in Kent. On the right is a mind map of possibilities in my sketchbook
  • ·      I never really draw machinery because it doesn't interest me as much as people for example, but I love the intricacies of machines, especially older ones with loads of nuts and bolts and stuff. I'm pretty into the steampunk style too so I could maybe explore that a bit more. It'll push me out of my comfort zone a bit. Some of my favourite artists are really good at drawing machinery and I want to improve my skills on this subject too. I've included an example of Jamie Hewlett's work and Sergi Brosa's work for reference.
  • Sergi Brosa
    Jamie Hewlett
  • ·      There's a lot of cool typography surrounding this theme, which is also something I'm interested in. My favourite typographer, Ben Eine, has a similar style to some of the vintage train signs:
  •   



I definitely could have done more drawing and also included colour (I forgot my colour materials) but here are two studies I did at the start of the day:


I want to do some more studies like this one,  but possibly bigger and maybe using a ruler to be more accurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment