Wednesday 9 December 2015

Nice Outfit - shape!




My final 3 images using shape! I picked clothes from my wardrobe and made up characters. I had fun branching out of my comfort zone and thinking about images in terms of shape rather than line. I also started using colour a lot more, which definitely came through in my roughs!

The first one I like the most, as I think the block colour of the gouache works really well, as well as the negative space in the white area of the shirt. I added a bit of texture in the hair and a bit of line in the face and jeans, but I did mostly try to think about it in terms of shape.

The next one was collage, so I was forced to think a lot more about shape instead of line. I really don't like how fiddly collage is, and I feel I could have achieved this image with other media. However, if I had used other media that I was comfortable with, I think I might have gone back to old habits of using line!

The last image is probably the least shape based. I also tried to include some texture and went for a sort of lo-fi look, which is fairly different than what I normally do. I actually had more fun in the rough stages and decided I really liked the look of my rough for this image and wanted to incorporate the textures of messy pen and brush stroke!

Some of the roughs:




I'm growing more confident in using shape and texture as well as improving my use of line within my work. I definitely want to try to use shape more in other briefs, but maybe not collage!

No comments:

Post a Comment