Saturday 24 September 2016

Struggling to pick an author

I'm having trouble picking between Angela Carter and Shakespeare!

Pros of Carter:

  • Rich descriptions - plenty of material for visual work
  • I really enjoyed reading The Bloody Chamber
  • Potential for lots of comics


Cons of Carter:

  • Her work (at least this book) is quite dark. I generally prefer to draw quite light-hearted, funny comics, which might be quite challenging with Carter. However, maybe it could be a good challenge?


Pros of Shakespeare:

  • A lot of his work is quite light-hearted and funny (Twelfth Night, A Midsummer Night's Dream etc.), and focuses a lot on storytelling, character and humour, which I indentified last year as being important to my work.
  • I already know a few of his plays quite well from studying them in English Literature
  • He has a lot of work to choose from


Cons of Shakespeare:

  • I already know a lot of his work - maybe I should focus on someone whose work I don't know so well and challenge myself a bit more.

I think I've left it a bit late to still be struggling with which author to pick! I planned to do loads of work over summer but got distracted and haven't done as much as I would have liked. I think I'll stick with Angela Carter - I've only read one book but I did really enjoy it and I think it'll be a challenge to use her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment