Monday 29 February 2016

4 Cities - Initial Ideas

The idea I've decided on for this brief: music genre origin cities!


  • London - punk
  • Manchester - britpop/'Madchester'
  • Seattle - grunge
  • New York - hip hop
I also looked at the origins of black metal in Oslo but decided the overwhelming themes of murder, suicide and Satanism were a bit dark...



After a bit of research on the fashion and hang-out spots of each genre and city respectively, I've come up with a sort of plan for the postcard layouts:

  • A CHARACTER: look at fashion and hairstyles of the genre and pick iconic clothing so the genre is easily recognisable
  • A LOCATION: a famous club/place in the city associated with each genre
  • AN ACCESSORY (?): a lifestyle signifier, possibly a different kind of drug
  • A BAND (?): logo of a prominent band of the genre on a T-shirt, or a music format with their album artwork/colours (NO TEXT!)
  • COLOUR: colour associated with the genre, either to do with a band or clothing

I like making lists and planning things with words rather than draw straight away, as otherwise I forget my ideas. So I have a mini plan for each postcard:


And some initial fleshing out of ideas:


No comments:

Post a Comment