Thursday 18 February 2016

Fan Art poster brief - ideas!

The first thing that came into my head for this brief was Scott Pilgrim! The comics by Bryan Lee O'Malley and the film. I also really admire O'Malley's visual signature and he has inspire a lot of my own work, so I thought this would be a perfect excuse to emulate that.

The first obvious ideas I had were to do with Scott and Ramona, and I played around with perspective a bit to make Ramona seem strong and Scott delicate in her arms, as is kinda portrayed in the comics:



However, I felt this was a bit safe and boring, and I felt like I could achieve a better composition pursuing something else, maybe with more characters??

I always liked Envy Adams in both the comic and movie, so another idea was to have her fighting Ramona somehow, a face-off:


However, after drawing these roughs, I decided it would be more interesting to focus on just Envy, rather than either of the two main characters. I think it would be quite cool to do an imaginary gig poster for her band The Clash at Demonhead:


This is only one of the first roughs I've done, but I'll carry on with it at a later date. I really like the brush texture still though, and I think it suits the indie/alt rock genre of the fictional band (songs actually by Metric in the movie). It's also quite similar to the font used to the movie poster:


No comments:

Post a Comment