Thursday 10 March 2016

OMG idea!!!

New idea!!! Instead of making up a character, I could use iconic figureheads of each genre, in a band hailing from each respective city.

London: Sid Vicious, Sex Pistols
Seattle: Kurt Cobain, Nirvana
Manchester: Liam Gallagher, Oasis (chose him over Noel because he has more iconic hair/glasses)
New York: The Notorious BIG (although he wasn't at the forefront of the development of hip hop in the late 70s and early 80s, he is a very recognisable figure of the genre and was born in NYC)

I could also use the eyedropper tool to pick colours based on their album covers.

Although I've thought about using the same idea of full-figure poses for these people, I don't think it's needed, it's too complicated. I think just the face is enough, or even just one feature, such as Liam, Sid and Kurt's hair and Biggie's crown. Maybe adding a tartan background or a safety pin for Sid just to make sure it's clear.

I decided to actually look at some vector art too:




I've always really liked this geometric style, but never ventured to try it before - I think it might be a good challenge for me to identify areas of light and dark and tone within the planes of the face, picking out the important parts.

Or really simple visual communication, like Noma Bar.




He also incorporates props and visual motifs into the faces based on the person/movie etc. This could be interesting if I could figure out something similar!

No comments:

Post a Comment