Thursday 10 March 2016

Poster communication

For this task we were instructed to pick a famous person and represent them on a poster without using their face. I chose Kurt Cobain since I'd just been representing him in the 4 Cities brief.

I came up with a few roughs, some expanding on ideas I'd had in the previous brief, such as the white sunglasses he wore, which were iconic among fans.




I enjoyed the going back to basics in the 4 Cities brief, by using vectors and simple shapes, rather than a lot of complex detail, so I decided to do the same here.



Matt questioned the use of space around the sunglasses, but I quite like the simplicity and not using the whole frame. I placed the glasses approximately where Kurt's face would be if it were a portrait of him. Could be symbolic - the fact that he's not alive anymore. I used a blue background reminiscent of the album Nevermind.

However, this poster didn't take me very long to do, so I decided to make another while I had time. I used the song Heart-Shaped Box to create a visual pun, again using space around the image. 



I also quite liked the Pennyroyal Tea idea, but it's not one of their most famous songs, so I wasn't sure if people would get it. I guess fans would.

No comments:

Post a Comment