Monday 16 January 2017

SB3 - Final Sting

Dog Show from Molly Halson on Vimeo.

Things that went well:

  • Considering I made this in two days (Friday 13th and Monday 16th January - I would have worked over the weekend but couldn't get After Effects to work on my computer), I think it turned out pretty well!
  • Without much time to experiment with transformations, I managed to achieve most of what I set out to with After Effects.
  • Despite running into some problems, like not anticipating how certain layers would move within the frame and with each other, I managed to complete my sting to a fairly high standard (in my opinion) for an absolute beginner.


Things that didn't go well:

  • As mentioned, I had a few problems, such as: 
  • Having to re-do certain layers of the elements in Photoshop because I didn't think about how they would work together within After Effects.
  • I also used my original PSD for pages 10 and 11 of my book to create the new layers, and didn't crop them down. So I had lots of tiny elements with a huge amount of space around them, creating huge files which eventually started to slow down After Effects! Next time I'll remember to crop all the layers to a more appropriate size.
  • I didn't have enough time to make all the transformations as smooth as they could have been, and had to miss a few things out that I wanted to do.
  • Ideally, I was going to record some of my own sounds (like dogs barking) but again, didn't leave myself enough time.


What I would do differently next time:

  • Make sure the PSD layers are an appropriate size!
  • Think about and plan my composition a bit more before starting work on it.
  • More storyboarding!
  • Better time management - maybe a project planner/weekly planner would help me.
  • Play around with different transformations and effects.
Overall, I did actually enjoy using After Effects and animating my work! I might try using it again for another module, as I think my comic style fits well with the medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment