Sunday 4 October 2015

OUIL404 Visual Language - Observational Drawing

On Friday (2/10/15) we went to the Royal Armouries Museum and Leeds Discovery Centre to do some observational drawing. I always find the experience of drawing from observation helpful as I get to practice drawing the real world around me, rather than just sitting on my laptop sifting through Google Images.

I also decided to practice drawing straight on to paper with pen, which I normally never do - I usually sketch with a pencil first and then go over the lines with pencil once I feel they're right. I think this helps to loosen up my drawing process a bit, and cuts down on time too. I feel slightly more confident about my drawing now after today.

My favourite drawings from the day were as follows. The first one, of a gun in the Armouries, I've selected because although the lines aren't perfect, I don't often draw objects/landscapes with much detail as I prefer to focus on people, but I'm happy with how it turned out. One of my favourite illustrators is Jamie Hewlett and this drawing reminds me of his kind of punky imperfect approach to drawing.

The next few drawings were done at the Discovery Centre, from their archives of taxidermy and animal skeletons. I really enjoyed this exercise, as bones are fairly hard to draw, but I think I managed it. I also loved looked at the creatures' poses and expressions to generate stories and personalities. And I think I'm funny.





No comments:

Post a Comment