Saturday 5 November 2016

Monoprint and Lino Workshops

I didn't really have any final images or ideas to play around with when we had these workshops, but I've just been playing around with one idea I had from the editorial brief - Wolf Alice and the mirror:



This was using the monotype method. It's probably the most appropriate to my practice as I'm very line based, as opposed to shape, but I didn't try very hard for this image, as it was only a quick test. In the future, I could draw on to paper first and the draw over it when it's on the ink pad, as with this one, I just drew freehand on to the paper, which is why the lines are a bit wonky! But this also got me to loosen up a bit.


I also tried using a cloth on a plastic board to smudge the ink to make more gestural marks and textures to form an image, but this isn't really the style I'm most proficient in or want to make pieces in, although I do enjoy it.



I made some textures quickly using a pencil and my hands, but I'm not too impressed with these - I'll have to come back into the print room and make some more interesting and more usable textures!


Aaaand my lino! I have really enjoyed doing lino in the past, although as I've said, because I'm a very line-based illustrator, I find lino quite frustrating. A lot of my peers have made excellent shape based lino cuts, but I feel like this method doesn't really compliment my style of drawing. However, I might have a  few more gos at it, as I do enjoy doing it, and it could be interesting to work into my final publication somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment