Thursday 3 November 2016

Which Briefs?!

In the peer review session today I identified the Briefs I want to focus on for Responsive:


  1. UK Greetings
  2. Observer Cape
  3. Penguin
  4. Secret 7"
  5. Fumetto Comix
  6. Illustration Friday
Rationale:

I love narrative, humour and character, and these briefs give me an opportunity to explore all these elements in different ways. And in regards to Secret 7", I also love music!

Technical considerations:
  • I want to get better at digital drawing, and using Photoshop in general, and I think the quick, weekly Illustration Friday will be an appropriate brief to explore these skills, as it's a succession of short briefs based on only one word, and the image doesn't have to be spectacular.
  • The two comic-based briefs (Observer Cape and Fumetto) give me an opportunity to explore the technicalities of the comics world, such as format and even perhaps branching out into processes such as screen printing or digital if I'm feeling ambitious.
Time considerations:
  • I've made a note of the deadlines of each brief.
  • Next steps are to make a timetable noting deadlines and how long I need to spend on each brief according to whether it is big or small.
  • I will try to make time each week to do Illustration Friday, as there are no set guidelines other than the prompt word, so I can make it my own brief.

Balance of briefs:
  • I've decided that UK Greetings and Observer Cape will be my two main big ones.
  • The others will be small, particularly Illustration Friday as it's a weekly brief, but if I manage my time well I could extend any one of the smaller briefs into a bigger brief.
  • For example, I could extend Secret 7" by doing all of the sleeves, doing many different sleeves for one song, or doing one sleeve and a whole range of other merchandise (such as T-shirts, posters etc.) for one song. I could also practice this brief by doing some sleeves for last year's songs, or just songs that I like personally.
  • I could also extend the Fumetto Comix brief by doing multiple comics on A4 sheets as separate entries, and similarly for the Penguin award. Since I'm only going to attempt the Adrian Mole cover, as it most relates to my style and practice, I could create multiple covers.
I could also add the Adobe poster brief to my list if I have time, as that could also be either big or small. That one should definitely get me working digitally.

No comments:

Post a Comment